Zero Proof: Non-Alcoholic Winter Sangria
Traditionally, sangrias are smooth, fruity and most popular in the warm summer months, but with just a few twists they can become a delicious, non-alcoholic winter beverage. If you like the idea of mulled wine but find the warmth of the drink off-putting, this virgin sangria might be your new favorite holiday drink!
Makes 8 (8-ounce) servings
- 2 blood oranges
- 2 grapefruits
- 1-2 Granny Smith apples
- 1 cup fresh cranberries, plus more for serving
- 16 ounces pomegranate juice
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 chai tea bags
- grapefruit-flavored sparkling water, for serving
- star anise, for serving
- cinnamon sticks, for serving
- pomegranate seeds, for serving
- cutting board and knife
- large baking sheet
- medium-sized saucepan
- wooden spoon
- large pitcher
- lowball glasses
- Preheat oven to 400°F and slice the oranges, grapefruits and apples.
- Keep apples separate. Place sliced oranges, sliced grapefruits and fresh cranberries on the baking sheet and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until cranberries caramelize.
- While fruit is baking, add pomegranate juice and orange juice to the saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Once boiling, pour the mixture over the chai tea bags in the large pitcher and let steep for 5minutes. Then remove the tea bags.
- Add in caramelized fruit and apples, stirring well. When cool enough to handle, move the pitcher of sangria mix to the fridge and let sit for at least 2 hours.
- Fill glasses half full with sangria mix, ensuring that some of the fruit ends up in the glass.
- Add grapefruit-flavored sparkling water to each glass until it is full. Garnish with star anise, cinnamon sticks, pomegranate seeds and fresh cranberries.
Tips and Substitutions
- If you can’t find blood oranges, normal oranges work just as well.
- When you take the fruit out of the oven, don’t wait too long before removing the fruit from the baking sheet or it will stick to the sheet.
- As the mixture is in the fridge cooling, stir occasionally to make sure nothing sticks and all the fruit has a chance to steep in the liquid
More Mocktail Recipes
Find additional Mocktail Recipes featured by LIVE|PLAY|AAA!