Passports & International Documentation - AAA Minneapolis

Passports & International Documentation

A passport is an internationally recognized travel document that verifies the identity and nationality of the bearer. A valid U.S. passport is required to enter and leave most foreign countries, even Canada, the Caribbean or Mexico. Only the U.S. Department of State has the authority to grant, issue, or verify United States passports.
Passport Photos

Although AAA cannot issue passports, you can obtain passport photos and applications at your local AAA office. AAA provides two 2×2 photos on a white background at the following rates:

Basic members     —
Plus and Premier members     —
Non-members     —

One FREE set per year


First-Time Passport Applicants

To obtain a passport for the first time, you will need to apply in person to one of the many passport acceptance facilities located throughout the United States. At the time of your application, you must present the following:

  • Complete form DS-11 (Application For A U.S. Passport)
  • Submit form DS-11 in person at an acceptance facility or passport agency
  • Submit Evidence of U.S. Citizenship
  • Present Primary or Secondary Identification
  • A Photocopy of all Identification Document(s) Presented
  • Pay Applicable Fee
  • Provide One (1) Passport Photo (official passport photo services are available in our Travel Store)

Please note: there are special requirements for minors under the age of 16, and for minors ages 16 and 17. Applicants eligible for Diplomatic, Official, & Regular No-Fee Passports are may also be subject to special requirements.

While not difficult, it does take some time, usually about 6 weeks, to get a new passport.

Renewing Your Passport

You may renew your passport by mail if:

  • Your most recent passport is available to submit and is not damaged
  • You received the passport within the past 15 years
  • You were over age 16 when it was issued
  • You still have the same name, or can legally document your name change

If you meet these requirements, you must submit Form DS-82, Application for a U.S. Passport by Mail. You can find Form DS-82 and step-by-step instructions at the U.S. State Department website.

If you do not meet these requirements, you will need to renew your passport in person.

Travel Visas

U.S. citizens don’t need a U.S. visa for domestic travel, but when planning travel abroad may need a visa issued by the embassy of the country they wish to visit. Visit the U.S. State Department International Travel Information website to find information specific to the country you wish to visit.