Open to the Public!Office Location & Hours

Appointments & Walk-ins

To get the fastest service, please schedule an appointment for the AAA DMV online.
A limited number of walk-ins are available each day for same-day service, but are not guaranteed.

Services, Fees & Payment

In addition to cash, AAA Minneapolis License Bureau accepts local checks, cashier's checks/money orders, and credit cards, including American Express.

*Credit card transactions will have a service fee of 2.49%.

License, Permit and ID Services & Fees

Online Pre-Application

Fill out a pre-application online for Driver's License and ID transactions to reduce your time at the counter.

Just print the confirmation page and bring it with you, along with the documents listed on the confirmation, to our office.

Complete & Print Your Pre-Application

Driver Testing Stations

AAA does not administer knowledge or driving tests. Visit the MN DVS website to schedule your knowledge/road test.

New to Minnesota

If you need to transfer your license from another state, you'll need to take a knowledge test at a testing station.

Find a Driver Testing Station

Do I Need a REAL ID? What is an Enhanced Card?

The card type you should apply for will depend on your needs

REAL ID and Enhanced cards offer federal identification when boarding domestic flights. Enhanced cards provide the added convenience of border crossing by land and sea from Mexico and Canada. Standard Minnesota ID/Licence cards will be valid for state identification and driving even after 5/3/23, but will not be valid for federal identification or domestic flights.

Card Use Standard REAL ID Enhanced Card
Domestic Air Travel Only until 5/3/23 Yes Yes
International Air Travel No No No
Land & Sea US Border Crossing No No Yes
Contains RFID No No Yes
Access Federal Facilities, Military Bases, Nuclear Power Plants Only until 5/3/23 Yes Yes
US Citizenship Required No No Yes

More Information and What to Bring

Important Note: required documents must be printed out. Electronic documents are not accepted.

Standard License/ID Card

Valid for federal identification, including boarding domestic flights, only until May 3, 2023.

Standard License/ID Cards Required Documents for Standard Card


Can be used for domestic air travel and access to federal facilities. Issued to both U.S. and non-U.S. citizens. Cannot be used as border crossing documents.

REAL ID Information Required Documents for REAL ID

Enhanced License/ID Card

Valid for federal identification, including boarding domestic fights and access to federal facilities even after May 3, 2023. Can be used as U.S. border crossing documents by land and sea when returning from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda or the Caribbean. Only issued to U.S. citizens.

Enhanced Cards Required Documents for Enhanced Card

Unsure which card type you need?Help Me Choose