Travel FAQs and Information
AAA Minneapolis monitors travel advisories, guidelines and best practices established by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), World Health Organization (WHO), U.S. State Department and American Society of Travel Advisors (ASTA) to help our members and customers make informed travel decisions. AAA Travel Advisors can guide you through the specific policies in place when discussing your travel plans.
Frequently Asked Travel Questions, Tips and More
Get answers to the most frequently asked questions about traveling.
Benefits of Working with a Travel Advisor
AAA urges travelers to work with an experienced travel advisor who can manage all your travel arrangements, allowing you to avoid the stress of travel planning so you can focus on looking forward to your trip. Your AAA travel advisor provides you peace of mind by:
- Finding the right vacation package based on your interests and travel style.
- Matching the right travel insurance to meet your specific needs and budget.
- Assisting with unexpected delays or changes which may occur during your trip.
- Managing your air travel seat assignments.
- Arranging transportation to your accommodation.
- Reserving excursions, museum tickets, and private day tours.
- Advocating on your behalf when there is a need to cancel or reschedule
- travel due to situations beyond your control.
- Managing your schedule of trip payments.
Hotel Travel Tips from AAA
- Confirm your hotel’s cancellation/change policies before booking so you are not surprised by unexpected penalties.
- When it comes to hotel travel, expectations have changed. That’s why AAA enhanced its Diamond hotel evaluation to include objective, scientific validation of the cleanliness of common surfaces throughout hotels. All AAA Diamond-designated hotels must meet established standards of cleanliness and physical condition. With the new addition of surface cleanliness testing, these properties are now recognized as Inspected Clean. Look for this designation when booking your next stay.
- Ask about contactless services. Many hotels offer check-in/check-out and mobile keys (room key on your phone). You will need to download the hotel’s app to access your keys and use contactless services.
- Inquire about housekeeping when you arrive. Most hotels now clean rooms based on a guest's personal preference.
- Check with the hotel regarding hours, availability and protocol for amenities like dining, workout facilities and the spa.
- Traveling with a pet? Be sure to ask your AAA Travel Advisor about hotel availability and pricing.
- Some hotels have additional “resort fees” and parking costs. Your AAA Travel Advisor can investigate these extras when booking your hotel.
- How do I get the lowest priced room at a hotel?
- Can I prepay a hotel reservation with AAA?
- Can AAA make hotel reservations for non-members?
- Can AAA Travel Advisors assist with hotel reservations?
- Can I book my hotel online through AAA using my AAA discount?
AAA Best of Housekeeping
When you book your hotel online with AAA, you can filter and search by hotels that have earned the Best of Housekeeping designation. These properties make up the top 25% of AAA Diamond designated properties that go above and beyond in housekeeping services.
What are the various activity levels for you AAA's hosted tours?
Tour pacing varies by itinerary, and each destination’s sightseeing and activities are unique to each tour. Please use this activity level scale to determine what tour is right for you.
Level 1: At a very leisurely pace, this tour involves minimal physical activity, such as climbing some stairs, boarding a motorcoach, and walking from the hotel reception area to hotel rooms and dining areas. Most Level 1 tours would include dinner and a show.
Level 2: This tour requires average physical activity. You should be in good health, able to climb stairs and walk reasonable distances, possibly over uneven ground and cobblestoned streets. Most level 2 tours would include a guided tour with some walking (less than a mile), shopping, optional walking activities and other similar activities.
Level 3: This tour includes moderate physical activity. For multi-day trips, the itinerary blends some longer days with shorter days and more leisure time. Walking tours, as well as walking slightly longer distances, up stairs or on uneven walking surfaces should be expected. Most Level 3 tours would include guided tours with walking distances up to a mile or up to an hour at a time (at a very leisurely pace). This tour would also include optional activities that would require additional walking.
Level 4: To truly experience the program and destination, you need to be able to participate in physical activities such as longer walking tours, walking over uneven terrain, climbing stairs and periods of standing. Some of the touring days may be longer, with select included activities occurring later in the evening. Most Level 4 tours would include guided tours with walking distances over a mile long (at a leisurely pace) or over one hour at a time.
Level 5: This tour is very active, requiring participants to be physically fit to fully enjoy all the experiences. This itinerary has more strenuous activities which may include things such as: extensive walking tours, transfers over uneven and dusty terrain, high altitudes, early morning departures, late night activities, or extreme conditions. All conditions do not apply to all days, so please read the itinerary carefully and speak to one of our representatives to find out if this tour is right for you. Unfortunately, this tour is not appropriate for individuals who use either walkers or wheelchairs.
Air Travel Tips from AAA
- For international flights, check with your airline for any required documents needed for your final destination.
- Make sure seats are assigned (if available) when you book your flights.
- Check in for your flight on-line (or on the airline app) 24 hours prior to your flight.
- Arrive at the airport approximately two hours in advance of a domestic flight, and three hours in advance of an international flight.
- Avoid “Basic Economy” type fares which have limitations such as no pre-assigned seating and very strict cancellation penalties. Passengers traveling on Basic Economy fares typically do not earn airline loyalty miles or points.
- Pack hand sanitizer and wipes in your carry-on bag to disinfect the area around your seat.
- Join airline loyalty programs for additional benefits.
Air Travel FAQs
- How do I apply for TSA PreCheck?
- Can I use my AAA membership for a discount on airline tickets?
- I booked an airline ticket and seat assignments are not available. What's going on?
- What is Global Entry and how can I join?
- Is there any disadvantage to booking the lowest priced airline ticket?
- How early should I get to the Minneapolis airport for my flight?
- Can I search for and book domestic airline tickets on my own through AAA?
Cruise Travel FAQs
- I booked my cruise directly through the cruise line and I have questions about the documentation I need. Can AAA help?
- I booked my cruise directly through the cruise line. Can AAA take over that booking and be my agent?
- I have future cruise credits to use from a cruise I didn't book through AAA. Can AAA help me redeem these?
- I'm a AAA member. Can I get a discount on a cruise by booking with AAA?
- Plan your cruise well in advance for the best stateroom availability and pricing. Cruises can be available up to two years in advance of sailing.
- Always use a Travel Advisor to plan a cruise. AAA’s experts are well-traveled themselves, and can help you make decisions on sailing dates, best pricing, stateroom location, shore excursions, AAA benefits, dining and more.
- Consider the travel season when making cruise arrangements. AAA Travel Advisors can provide insight on climate in your destination, and its impact on your travel experience.
- Make shore excursion arrangements as soon as they are available. They are capacity controlled and can sell out, especially in popular seasonal destinations like Alaska.
- If possible, arrive at your embarkation destination at least one day prior to embarkation in case of air travel delays which can impact your travel experience.
- With the help of a travel advisor, consider the value of amenity packages bundling features like free WiFi, staff gratuities, and beverages. These packages can ease the budgeting process and allow for a more enjoyable travel experience.
Road Trip Tips from AAA
- For road trips, pack food, water, an emergency kit and a blanket in case you become stranded.
- Notify credit card providers of your travel details (specify location and duration) to reduce the risk of cards being frozen due to unusual activity.
- Reserve a car as far in advance is possible. If rates go down, they usually can be adjusted.
- Book your car through AAA for member discounts and benefits with Hertz, Dollar, and Thrifty Car Rental companies.
- Always bring a valid driver’s license and major credit card to your car rental pick-up.
- Be mindful of pick-up and drop-off times. Delaying your return by as little as 15 minutes can impact the price.
- Be sure to figure in passenger count (seat belts needed) and luggage needs when deciding on your vehicle size.
- Carefully review everything you initial on your car rental contract. Additional insurance and other cost add-ons cannot be refunded upon return of the vehicle.
- If you have questions about insurance coverage, check with your own insurance carrier before renting a vehicle.
Car Rental FAQs
- Can I book my car rental online through AAA using my AAA discount? Are there any other benefits for members?
- How do I get the lowest price on a car rental?
- Can I prepay a car rental reservation through AAA?
- Can AAA make car rental reservations for non-members?
- Can a AAA Travel Advisor assist with car rental reservations?
Q: Can AAA help me understand the pros and cons, and “need to know” of renting an electronic vehicle?
A: Yes! AAA Travel Advisors can compare prices between regular and electronic vehicles, and help you understand the charging process on your road trip.
International Travel FAQs
- Can I get a passport at AAA?
- Can I get an International Driving Permit (IDP) at a AAA office?
- Can I purchase foreign currency at AAA?
Q: Can I purchase international airline tickets at AAA?
A: Yes, AAA sell airline tickets in conjunction with cruises, tours, and independent travel. Some restrictions apply, and fees may apply to these purchases. For airline tickets only, you can check here for pricing and availability.
Q: Does AAA sell international cruises and tours?
A: Yes! It’s our specialty. AAA has partnerships with some of the best travel operators in the world, offering ocean and river cruises, rail journeys, independent tours, and much more. AAA Minneapolis Travel Advisors can handle your arrangements from the day you leave home, to the day you return.
Q: Can I reserve a car in another country through AAA?
A: Yes, AAA Travel Advisors can reserve a Hertz car for members traveling abroad. Price and availability can vary.
Q: I have questions about planning independent travel abroad. Is there a fee for this service?
A: There may be fees for independent travel planning. An excellent starting point in the planning process is our inspiration tool, Trip Canvas, which provides ideas cruises, tours, hotels, restaurants, and things to do.
Q: Can I make an appointment to meet with a Travel Advisor to plan my international trip?
A: Yes! We can take appointments for in-person, phone, and video appointments. Click here to get started.
More Travel Resources
Safe Travel Essentials
Visit your local AAA Travel store to find everything you need for peace of mind when you travel
- Travelon UV Sanitizer Box
Retail Price: $59.95 | Member Price: $53.95
- Hand Soap Sheets
Retail Price: $3.95 | Member Price: $3.55
- Personal Air Purifier
Retail Price: $29.95 | Member Price: $26.75
- Lightsweep UV Wand
Retail Price: $32.95 | Member Price: $29.95
- Clean & Healthy Kits
Retail Price: $13.95 | Member Price: $12.55
- Travelon Antimicrobial Waistpack
Retail Price: $19.95 | Member Price: $17.95
- Care CoverTM Protective Masks
Retail Price: $9.95 | Member Price: $8.95
5 Reasons You Need to Talk to a Travel Advisor in 2022
Spend more time enjoying the destination and less time worrying about the details
Traveling is more confusing than ever before, between the latest requirements, documents, restrictions, cancellations and regulations constantly changing, and safety still being a top priority, there are so many unknowns.
You need someone in your corner who is up-to-date on all of the latest policies and requirements, has traveled in the past year, can handle re-booking or cancelling trips, knows the safest airlines and hotels, and can find the best travel deals- and can plan it all.